Mirror
WE WANT OWEN FOR REAL
Toon chief jets out to give reluctant Madrid striker a £28M ultimatum
By Alan Nixon and Simon Bird
MICHAEL OWEN will be handed an ultimatum by Newcastle today - sign for us or face an uncertain future.
Toon chairman Freddy Shepherd will hold face-to-face talks with the England marksman in Madrid after making a £12m bid yesterday as part of a club record £28m package.
Despite the riches on offer, Owen's first choice destination remains Liverpool and he has told the Tyneside club that he is only interested in a one-year loan deal.
Last night United proved how much they need Owen when they went down 2-0 to Bolton.
Owen, who has slipped down the pecking order to fifth-choice striker at Real, issued a statement three hours before Newcastle revealed their bid, saying: "I met the Real Madrid president and we discussed my future.
"I said that my ideal situation was to start the season in the Real Madrid team and, if not, I would prefer to return to Liverpool.
"The president understood and said he would try to help me achieve this.
"If the transfer can't be finalised in time I have agreed to go to Newcastle - but only on a one-year loan.
"I need to be playing all the time in a World Cup year."
Shepherd is prepared to pay £16m in wages over four years to land the England man but says he will not accept a loan deal.
The transfer would not smash Newcastle's club record £15m paid for Alan Shearer but, in total, it would be the biggest ever financial deal and one Liverpool may struggle to match.
But Newcastle's hopes are dependent on whether Liverpool make their own move for the 25-year-old.
The Merseysiders are holding back, hoping to snatch Owen on loan or for £8m closer to the transfer deadline next week.
Toon boss Graeme Souness wants an answer quickly and, if it is not successful, then he will rekindle his interest in Albert Luque.
United pulled out of that transfer on Tuesday but haggling over a £8m fee is continuing.
Newcastle fans had their hopes raised of a similar big-name signing in August last year when the club offered Everton £25m for Wayne Rooney, and they are remaining cautious about this latest very public bid. The Rooney bid flushed out Manchester United's interest and helped earn Rooney his first-choice switch to Old Trafford.
Newcastle have pursued Owen since October when it became clear he was not going to be a regular at Real Madrid.
His options of an escape route ran out over the summer and he only gave Newcastle encouragement to firm up their interest ten days ago.
But Souness has admitted that Newcastle's best chance of landing Owen is on a loan if Liverpool drop their interest. Owen signalled the end of his year-long stay at the Bernabeu by saying: "I am grateful to Senor Perez for his personal concern about my career. I have really enjoyed being part of his Real Madrid team."
Real Madrid director of communications Antonio Garcia Ferreras said: "Real Madrid and Newcastle have reached an agreement.
"But there is still no agreement between him and Newcastle."